11th to 17th Avenues, Humboldt to York
The Tears McFarland Mansion on the Corner of 13th & Williams
Did you know…in the 1890’s, Colfax was considered Denver’s most prestigious residential street? And this street was contained in Wyman’s Addition, which was platted in 1882 and stretched from Franklin to York, 13th to 17th Avenue.
Water became available to the area with the completion of Smith’s Ditch in 1867, and transportation was accessible, with working cable car lines by 1889. These two ingredients enabled the neighborhood to begin to take shape.
Most construction occurred between 1888 and 1893, with prominent architect William Lang building a total of 36 houses, 14 of which have since been torn down. Frank Edbrooke, and Robert Roeschlaub also contributed to the development of the neighborhood. During this time, Colfax and the Wyman neighborhood were home to many of Denver’s most prominent citizens including members of the “Sacred 36” who were those invited to Mrs. Crawford Hill’s bridge parties because she only had 9 tables!
Following the Silver Crash, and a halt in most building, the construction of apartment buildings and commercial buildings began. Many mansions were divided into multi-unit apartment buildings, and by the 1960’s, communes and half-way houses were widespread throughout the area.
While the construction in the Wyman Historic District varies across three distinct styles, Victorian, Post-Victorian, and Early Modern, the neighborhood also contains many examples of other architectural designs including Moderne, Prairie Style, Period Revivals, andBungalows. Additionally, Wyman contains one of the only examples of the rare Shingle Style in Denver at 1359 Race Street.
Named a Historic District in 1993 (which also includes the 1300 block of Humboldt), Wyman’s Addition remains a thriving, diverse, and well-loved part of the heart of Denver.
Get the Wyman Historic District walking guide, by Diane Wilk, at the Tattered Cover bookstore and enjoy spending the day walking around this area.
1718 Gaylord St., (Wyman Addition)Dutch Colonial house with a plethora of Neoclasical elements designed by Baerresen Brothers in 1904. Once home to William Freeman, who salvaged the Denver, Salt Lake and Pacific Railroad after the death of its president, David Moffat.