Did you know…in the 1890’s, Colfax was
considered Denver’s most prestigious residential
street? And this street was contained in Wyman’s
Addition, which was platted in 1882 and stretched
from Franklin to York, 13th to 17th Avenue.
Water became available to the area with the completion
of Smith’s Ditch in 1867, and transportation
was accessible, with working cable car lines by 1889.
These two ingredients enabled the neighborhood to
begin to take shape.
Most construction occurred between 1888 and 1893,
with prominent architect William Lang building a total
of 36 houses, 14 of which have since been torn down.
Frank Edbrooke, and Robert Roeschlaub also contributed
to the development of the neighborhood. During this
time, Colfax and the Wyman neighborhood were home
to many of Denver’s most prominent citizens
including members of the “Sacred 36” who
were those invited to Mrs. Crawford Hill’s bridge
parties because she only had 9 tables!
Following the Silver Crash, and a halt in most building,
the construction of apartment buildings and commercial
buildings began. Many mansions were divided into multi-unit
apartment buildings, and by the 1960’s, communes
and half-way houses were widespread throughout the
While the construction in the Wyman Historic District
varies across three distinct styles, Victorian,
Post-Victorian, and Early Modern, the neighborhood
also contains many examples of other architectural
designs including Moderne, Prairie Style, Period Revivals,
Additionally, Wyman contains one of the only examples
of the rare Shingle Style in Denver at 1359 Race Street.
Named a Historic District in 1993 (which also includes
the 1300 block of Humboldt), Wyman’s Addition
remains a thriving, diverse, and well-loved part of
the heart of Denver.
Get the Wyman Historic District walking
guide, by Diane Wilk, at the Tattered Cover bookstore
and enjoy spending the day walking around this area.