Sonja Leonard Leonard
Broker/owner of one of the very few
Sonja J Leonard was born on December 5, 1948 in Anderson, South Carolina. (Yes…she was a Leonard before marrying a Leonard!) She studied psychology at Winthrop College in Rock Hill, S.C.
Sonja married Peter Thatcher Leonard, Sr. on September 13, 1972. Peter is a resident professor at the University of Saigon in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. They have two children, Peter Thatcher Leonard, Jr., who is a sea captain with the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute, and Lee Lee, who graduated from the Rhode Island School of Design (RISD) in fine art and exhibits internationally. Her work can be seen locally at the office. She works out of her studio in the neighborhood.
Broker/Owner of Leonard Leonard & Associates Inc., at 420 Downing Street, Sonja has owned and operated her real estate firm for over 26 years. She specializes in the turn of the century residential properties in the older neighborhoods of Denver.
Her interests include historic preservation and education, marketing, neighborhood planning and zoning, Landmark Designation, as well as international travel and aid to underdeveloped nations.
Sonja has been awarded the Partners in Preservation Award, a member of the Denver Board of Realtors Million Dollar Round Table, featured in Money Magazine for her marketing, and named one of 50 people to watch by Denver Magazine. (Continue on for a complete list of her accomplishments)
- Monthly contributions to Heifer International, Oxfam, Unicef and the Red Cross African Relief.
- Ongoing support for the Stiles African American Heritage Center
- Easter Egg Hunts for underprivileged children.
- Coat Drives for children.
- A pumpkin patch for children living in shelters.
- Educational support in Vietnam.
- Medical supplies to Cuba.
- Sponsor of the Dora Moore House Tour.
- Corporate sponsor of Voices.
- Sacking “flip” stigma for home shape-ups
Denver Post, July 2010
- Wave Of High Water Bills Floods Country Club Residents
Cherry Creek Chronicle, January 2009
- Best Housing Deals Price Gains Aren’t What They Used to Be. So Buyers and Sellers Alike Are Finding it Takes a Village of Pros to be a Winner Today. Here’s How to Build a Top Team
By Gary Belsky, Money Magazine
- Basements add to bottom line – Rocky Mountain News
- October 2003, Featured by Fox News as “The Millionaire Next Door“
- Named “Who’s Who in Residential Real Estate” by the Denver Business Journal.
- Widely recognized by local media for donating all the proceeds from the silent auction of a Country Club home to The Salvation Army.
- Featured in Money Magazine for her marketing skills.
- Named as one of “50 People to Watch” by Denver Magazine
- Frequently featured in Real Estate articles in many periodicals in the Denver Area.
Personal Renovations featured in
- Colorado Homes and Lifestyles – Read an “Oasis of Peace”
- Better Homes and Gardens
- Victorian Homes
- Denver Post
- Rocky Mountain News
- The Nature Conservancy
- Owner of one of the very few solely woman owned and operated Real Estate Firms in Colorado.
- 26 years experience as the specialist in selling turn of the century masterpieces in the heart of Denver.
- Recipient of The Clara Barton Society Award from the American Red Cross as one of the largest donors in Denver.
- Honorable mention from NARI for restoration of an older home.
- Graduate, Realtors Institute of Colorado (GRI Designation).
- Certified Residential Specialist (CRS Designation).
- Certificate of appreciation from the Denver Police.
- Winner of state wide Real Estate Marketing Awards.
- Coordinator and sponsor for various Neighborhood Historic Walking Tours in the inner city.
- 21 year member of the Denver Board of Realtors Million Dollar Round Table Club (this is the top 2% of board members)
- Featured Speaker at the Denver Board of Realtors, the Colorado Realtor Rally, and the Colorado Real Estate Convention.
- Awarded Partners in Preservation by APNA for renovation of a historic building.
Membership & Activities
- Denver Botanic Gardens
- Museum of Natural History
- Capitol Hill United Neighbors
- Alamo Placita Neighborhood Association
- Colorado Historic Society
- Denver Historic Society
- Denver Board of Realtors
- City Club of Denver
- Denver Art Museum